Wednesday, June 10, 2009

OUCH...

I have some bad news to share... poor Alli broke her lower leg today. I feel SO bad and I feel like such a bad Mom. She was sitting up on the counter top this morning eating a piece of bread while I was doing the dishes. She somehow slipped and fell on the tile. She cried for about three minutes and then she seemed okay so I thought she was just fine. However, when I let her down to walk around she was really wobbly and then she began to limp pretty bad on her right leg so I knew something wasn't right. So I took her to the hospital, and come to find out after her x-ray, she did in fact break her leg. She has a bow fracture to her fibula in her lower leg. So sad. Luckily, that is not the supporting bone, it's a bone that's kind of on the side of the main bone. The doctor said she should be able to still walk on it and play but it might hurt her for a few days. She didn't have to get a cast or a splint, and he said it should be healed within four to six weeks. Most likely four weeks because children's bones heal a lot faster than adults. So cross your fingers that nothing else goes wrong with it and it can heal really fast.I'm going to give her lots of milk and be really careful with her and watch her like a hawk! Actually, they said the more she is able to stand and walk on it the faster it should heal. So NO MORE sitting on counter tops EVER again. Again, I feel like such a bad Mom because I could have prevented this by not letting her get up on the counter in the first place. Hopefully I'm not the first one that this has happened to. I guess all I can do is chalk this down as another lesson learned and be thankful it wasn't anything more serious.



From her X-Ray, you can see the small bone on the left. In the middle of that bone you can see that it's kind of bent- it should be straight, that's where the fracture is.

12 comments:

The Brindley's said...

Poor girl!! Don't feel like a bad mom. Things like this happen all the time and there are so many times that something comes to a close call and I think "that was so dumb of me to do", but you live and learn. Hope she heals quick!!

Phillips Fam said...

oh how sad! My little bro jd broke his leg when he was that age. But he had a cast for like 2 months. So just be glad there is no cast! CAn you imagine bath time at that age with a cast! Hope she feels better soon!

Ryan and Amber said...

That is so sad! BUT she's a good little eater and drinker and she'll heal that sucker in no time! Sorry, Ash!

Eric Requel and Bella said...

How sad. I hope she isn't in too much pain. Poor thing. Let me know if you guys need anything.

Steffani said...

Oh no! That's so sad! My poor little Alli! :( Don't feel like a bad mom at all. I always let my kids sit on the counter when I am making dinner. I think all mom's do it. You are such a good mom!!

Lindsay said...

She will heal fast!!! You are a good mom!!!

Travis and Lindsey said...

Hali is always sitting on my counter while I am cooking and doing dishes. It sounds like she is a little tough nut. It is amazing what their little bodies can do. She will heal quickly, especially with how busy they are at this age.

Alyssa said...

OUCH!!!! She will heal fast kids are good like that.

youngkinfam said...

Poor thing! I feel for you-Conner broke his leg last year and had to be in a cast. It's awesome cuz it happened just after preschool started and just before the school pix. So in his class pic, he is standing there in a cast! He learned to walk pretty good in it, even ran! (well a wobble run) Anyhow, hope she gets better!

April Leydsman Mason said...

that is so sad and you are not a bad mom. It happens to the best of us. Hopefully it will heal soon.

The Belnaps said...

My sis-in-law had her first two kids break thier leg..different times but I know it was harder on her than on the kids...they are so resilient!

Jensen's est. 2005 said...

i'm so sorry, but it sounds like it could have been a lot worse.

here is my confession,maybe it will help you feel better. when mylee was a baby everytime i would bathe her she would scream and scream the whole time! i hated it, finally i told justin, he was going to have to start giving her baths so i got the water ready and handed it off to justin. well we figured out what the problem was justin said the water was too hot! can i tell you how awful i felt, that i was burning my poor, helpless baby everytime! it made me sick, but i think that is a part of motherhood, you kind of learn as you go.