Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Alli's Surgery

 Alli had her tonsils and adenoids removed last week. It was recommended to us last year by her pediatrician awhile back, and then again by Dr. Hamilton who performed her surgery. We were waiting for summer to roll around so she wouldn't have to miss much school. She got a ton of ear infections last year and her tonsils were huge, so this should be great for her.
We got there at 7:45 am and they got her back about 8:30, gave her a t-shirt and room, then we just waited for the anesthesia guy. Finally about 45 minutes later she was wheeled away to the surgery room. The procedure took only about 30 minutes and then about 10 minutes later she was in the recovery room. I guess when she woke up the nurses said she was "rockin' and rollin' and wanted her IV OUT!!!" Wish i could have seen that part. When we were able to go back, she was half asleep, half awake. She would be awake for a few minutes and then back asleep for ten minutes or so until she completely woke up about 45 minutes later. They gave her slushy's and had her on an iv with water. She never threw up and actually handled all of it really well, we were impressed! We were out of there about 11:30 am. On the way home she was a little nauseated but luckily never threw up. She also kept talking about how she fell asleep. She just didn't get that part! She says the last thing she remembers was the "magic mask" ha ha.
When we got home she had some otter pops and medicine and then slept for a good 3 hours. The first couple days weren't bad at all. In fact, she was out playing with her friends again the next day. Days 3-5 (today) have been the hardest for her especially during the night she will wake up a couples times in pain. We give her some more medicine and throat spray and then she falls back asleep. They say after about a week she will just gradually get better and better and about 2 weeks be completely back to normal, so we're about on the upswing we're hoping! She's been a trooper though and has handled everything really well.

 Before the surgery, they gave her a tshirt to wear. She had no idea what was coming...

About the time they rolled her out, she was not too nervous at all!

Poor baby the first time we saw her and she still wanted that iv OUT!

The nasty tonsils gross!

 She loved the wheel-chair ride out to the car!

Just sleeping away at home

She got so many little gifts and otterpops, popsicles and balloons. She definitely felt loved! Thanks to all those who stopped by or sent stuff.


Ryan and Amber said...

Dude u should have warned me about the tonsils pic! Gagggiiiinnngggg! She is a good little patient!

The Sutherland Family said...

yeah...sorry bout that ha ha